*** GEORGIA ACTION ALERT! YOUR HELP NEEDED! ***
The Georgia State House just introduced legislation that, if passed (as now written) would add kratom to its current Controlled Substances law/code, calling it a "restricted dangerous drug," illegal to possess.
Georgia House Bill (HB/783) currently has 4 sponsors and would add the two main alkaloids of kratom, plus the plant itself, to a list of banned drugs, including dangerous synthetics. Like Florida, it's likely being proposed because of a young man's suicide; his parents blame kratom. We need to convince Georgia lawmakers kratom is perfectly SAFE when used responsibly and has MANY medicinal values.
The bill must work its way through committees before going to a vote and becoming law. Right now, we need to target the Health and Human Services and Judiciary Committees and ask that they remove the two alkaloids and the plant from the bill. The Georgia session only lasts 40 days, so we need calls and e-mails NOW. If it passes out of committees, it's then voted on, and with a majority, moves on to be signed into law by the Governor, with an effective date of the date the law is enacted.
SENDING E-MAILS - WHAT/WHO TO WRITE:
To the Honorable Members of the Committee regarding HB 783,
My name is ________, I'm a __-year old _________ from _________ and I'd like to voice my concern about adding kratom (Mitragynine, 7-hydroxyymitragynine and Genus Mitragyna) to HB 783. Then BRIEFLY summarize:
- The alkaloids named above are naturally occurring compounds found in the leaves of the kratom tree (genus Mitragyna), a plant I consume to help treat my __________.
- How you came to use kratom (did you hear about it in a support group, research it online?)
- What ailments do you suffer (includes addiction), what treatments haven't worked (prescriptions, surgery, drugs like Suboxone and Methadone, etc.)
- How long you've been dealing with your condition, how long you've been using kratom and how many/what medications you've been able to quit.
- What kratom means to you (has it given you your life back, have you gone back to work, can you play with your, exercise or travel, etc., something anecdotal about why kratom is important and should be available).
- Conclusion: Kratom is a safe alternative to pharmaceutical drugs with important medicinal uses and has changed my life, so I'm asking you to please remove it and its alkaloids from HB 783.
If you have questions about kratom, please visit the AKA website http://www.americankratom.org/. Thank you for your time and service to the state.
*Please be professional and polite, keeping it as short as possible.
****If are GEORGIA RESIDENT, please send your e-mail to your own representatives and tell them you are a voter and their constituent. Find yours HERE *****
TO EMAIL ALL THE MEMBERS OF BOTH COMMITTEES AT ONCE COPY AND PASTE THIS LIST
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
TO CALL MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE, PLEASE USE THIS LIST (thank you BLD!)
Tell these offices you would like to voice your concerns about HB 783, that you are a medicinal user of kratom, and what negative consequences banning kratom would have on your quality of life. If you’ve written an e-mail, tell them you'd like to make sure they received it.